Santa Claus, also known as Saint Nicholas, Father Christmas, Kris Kringle and simply “Santa”.
This saint is the patron of schoolboys. It is well known that his feast is celebrated in many European countries by children putting out their shoes in the evening, only to find them in the morning filled with sweets and little gifts, presumably by St. Nicholas. In some countries St. Nicholas visits families himself on December 6th and holds a cross-examination of the children, and those who in his opinion deserve it, receive a present, while those who do not, go without. In some countries on this day parents would have a talk with each of their children in turn, telling them all the good things they had noticed in them, praising them generously where praise was earned, and with equal justice pointing out the faults in them that needed to be corrected.
Wonderful way to build family in advent time!
- Feast of St. Nicholas (ellampson.wordpress.com)
- St. Nicholas pays the children of St. Peter Church a visit (macombdaily.com)
- Tonight St. Nicholas it’s on its way! I hope everyone has shiny boots 🙂 (whitekitten99.wordpress.com)
- Santa Claus Should Not Be a White Man Anymore (slate.com)
- ☃ Origins & Traditions  (bellemorgen.wordpress.com)
- 13 Internet memes about the time when jolly old St. Nicholas punched a heretic (stpeterslist.com)